Is It Possible To Get Into Canada With A DUI?

Canada has stricter laws when it comes to drunk driving, and this applies to letting visitors who have been charged with a DUI in the country. If you have a DUI on your record, border agents can decide not to let you in the country even if you do not plan on driving while you are in Canada.

You can cross the Canadian border if you prepare your trip in advance. There are different ways to get into Canada even if you have a record. However, you are going to need some time and shouldn’t plan your trip to Canada at the last minute. You should consider applying for a Temporary Resident Permit (or search for ways on how to go to canada with a DUI online). Obtaining a TRP is fairly easy but you will need to share some information about the purpose of your trip to Canada. You will also need to indicate the dates of your trip. Apply for a permit at least a few months in advance to make sure your application will be approved on time.

You can also apply for Criminal Rehabilitation. You will have to document your DUI and prove that you paid all the fines and completed any programs the judge required you to go through. You will not be eligible for Criminal Rehabilitation unless you finished paying the fines and completed any required programs at least five years ago.

Your other option is to have your record cleared by the state where you were charged with a DUI. You will have to meet a few requirements that vary from one state to another. If it hasn’t quite been five years since you were charged, you might find that it has been long enough for your state to clear your record.

These are the three options you have to enter Canada with a DUI. If you decide to go to Canada at the last minute and do not have time to have your record cleared or to apply for a TRP, you should know that the border agents might not decide to let you in. You shouldn’t lie to them and should be ready to answer questions about your record.

Entering Canada is possible even if you have a record but you need to plan your trip in advance. Border agents might decide to let you in the country but you should know that this decision is entirely up to them if you do not have a TRP or didn’t get your record cleared.